Home > Blog > Give Your Home a Natural Touch for Fall
Give Your Home a Natural Touch for Fall
Posted: October, 6, 2014 | Categories:
If you've been searching for a way to spruce up your home this season, all you need to do is look outdoors for inspiration – leaves are changing color, and the markets are filling up with pumpkins and gourds in beautiful autumnal tones. Decorating the table can be as simple as walking outside with scissors and snipping colorful sprigs of leaves, then placing them in an assortment of containers. Choose warm-hued vases, like amber glass, to complement yellow leaves. To make red leaves pop, place the stems in vibrant blue vases or jars, as shown above. Read on for five more easy ways to bring the beauty of nature into your home.
1. Make a harvest basket display. A fresh take on the cornucopia, all you need to create this display is a shallow basket or tray, and a trip to the grocery store or farmer's market. Start by spreading out a layer of whole nuts in the shell. Position a few mini pumpkins and gourds atop the nuts, and fill in with any fall produce you have on hand – here they used pears, small apples, yellow onions, and shallots. This would be beautiful on the coffee table, or on a console in the entry hall.
2. Fill a vase with fall branches. If you have a tree on your property that changes color in the fall, simply go out with a pair of sharp kitchen shears or clippers and cut a few branches to bring indoors. Place branches in a large footed or cylindrical vase. How easy is that?
3. Pumpkin terrarium. If you thought you'd seen it all when it comes to terrariums, think again! Make this hot accessory work for fall by placing a few mini pumpkins and a sprig of fall leaves atop a mound of moss.
4. Leaf place cards. Give your next gathering a personal (and creative!) touch by putting fall leaves to work as place cards. Using a gold paint pen, simply write each guest's name on a leaf, and set atop a napkin.
5. Autumn centerpiece. Put fall favorites like pumpkins, gourds, and fall berries center stage by elevating them on a wooden serving board or cake stand. Nestle one or two tea lights into the arrangement, and place the whole thing in the center of the dining table for a stunning, all-natural display.
What about you? How are you decorating your home for fall? Chime in with your own fall favorites in the Comments section!
Image sources: Lead image via BHG; Harvest basket display, vase of fall leaves, and pumpkin terrarium via BHG; Leaf place cards via Apartment Therapy; Pumpkin centerpiece via Camille Styles.